Friday, April 10, 2009

Oil Painting for the Serious Beginner

I had been thinking about taking some formal painting lessons lately. To warm up, I checked out a few painting books from the local library. They seemed well-written but could not hold my interest for long as they seem to cover a vast topic in just one book, an attempt that leaves many key issued unattended. Such as covering all media reflects author's wide knowledge-base but was of little practical use for me as I am seeking help in getting the fundamentals of oil painting in terms of the role of value and composition. I am a beginner who seem to have a grasp on drawing the correct proportions effortlessly. So, I read and returned a few without having much impact until I found this one by Steve Allrich.

It has pretty much everything I was looking for. And I am not even finished with the first chapter! I am sure this book would be an excellent resource for all my art-questions.

Here is his blog.

And here is the Artist's Statement from his blog.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hi Bhavna
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoy reading your blog very much

Sharon said...

Hi Bhavna,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. The Botanica Medallion that you commented on is the center medallion of the Botanica Medallion Cardigan on the front cover of Vogue this summer. It would be an awesome hat though wouldn't it?