Friday, February 12, 2010

Art Class - Day 3 & 4

.

This class was what I had been waiting for so long. Mr. Wu arranged some random items on the model stand and asked us to pick any three for our still-life. OK, that means, 1) Pick an angle that gives you the correct composition, that is two overlapping items at the right place, 2) Make sure the composition has interest, 3) Make a correct line drawing, and finally 4) Reflect smooth value changes. 'Oh, so just start?' I thought. Woah, that's awesome! I was sure I could handle that.

I got down to the line drawing and within first half and hour or so, I had had the correct composition ready. Then I added the values. Did I mention we had to use only vine charcoal? Well yes, just that. From this point on, all I had to do was to shade. Which I did, to a level of my satisfaction. I almost finished it before the class ended. I think I did a good job.

I took a critical look at this from a distance and I felt, there were a lot of darker shades that was not dark enough and could use some more work. The instructor agreed. So, that I leave for the next still-life. Great exposure, good practice, and a lot of learning. I loved it.


Day 4

We first had a demo on plastercast drawing. Once it was complete, then it was our turn to practice on a different cast. For the assigned time of an hour or so, I did my best and I think this calls for a picture which I hope to post soon. Mine turned out to be okay and with practice, I am sure there is a lot of scope of improvement.

No comments :