Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Portraits of National Parks - #3 Big Sur, CA


Big Sur is not a national park. Not even a national monument, it's a stretch of land of California’s central coast between Carmel and San Simeon. I still included it in this series for its beauty and the emotional attachment that I feel towards this lovely seascape.

Bordered to the east by the Santa Lucia Mountains and the west by the Pacific Ocean, it’s traversed by narrow, 2-lane State Route 1, known for winding turns, seaside cliffs and views of the often-misty coastline. The sparsely populated region has numerous state parks for hiking, camping and beachcombing. 

I visited this area some 17 years ago, for the first time. I found the view very peaceful and inviting. It is now that I finally got a chance to paint what I saw then.

Oil
2016

Here are the details of the oil painting. 

Blobs of fresh paint, delight to painter

Light against dark, perspective through colors

A view of the palette

The painting is sitting to dry. Once it does, I will varnish it and possibly, frame it. Its been added to my website and soon will be updated on my online gallery and storefront.

What is your favorite nature destination? I would love to hear about it.



 


1 comment :

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.