A picture is worth a thousand words. So here are some from my recent project.
This is the swatch from Vogue Stitchionary that I thought could become a point of start for a two-colored sweater
Or may be this one
So I tried both combinations in the colors I had
but neither seemed promising!
So, I decided to alter the approach altogether and considered the following for a possible restart point.
It has more than 4 colors but I modified it to only 2 for my project. And the result was quite neat!
I combined it with seed stitch
But it looked kinda rusty. But I didn't want to go back to stockinette or texture. That made me gravitate towards garter. Hmmmm....let me try it, I thought. And here is the final result!